Welcome!

Hi everyone thought I would start this blog to keep track of the bits & bobs I get up to each day. I am a stay at home mum with 3 children who are in their teens & twenties. I have had Chronic Lyme Disease for at least 14 years if not more. I am constantly trying to improve my condition. I am a great fan of moneysavingexpert.com and have discovered a few ways of upping my income without too much effort

Friday 7 December 2012

Spicy Green Beans - Friday 7 December 2012

Spicy Green Beans

(Masaladar Sem)

 Serves 3
 12 oz green beans (I used frozen ones)
1" cube  Ginger, peeled  and chopped
5 garlic cloves
5fl oz water
3 tbsps vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Red chilli, crushed
4oz tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsps lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Trim the green beans and cut them, crosswise, at 1/4" intervals.  Put the ginger and garlic into an electric blender or food processor.  Add 2fl oz of the measured water and blend until fairly smooth.

Heat the oil in a wide, heavy saucepan over a medium flame.  When hot, put in the cumin seeds.  Five seconds later, put in the crushed chilli.  As soon as it darkens, pour in the ginger-garlic paste.  Stir and cook for about a minute.  Put in the coriander.  Stir a few times.

Now put in the chopped tomatoes.  Stir and cook for about 2 mins, mashing up the tomato pieces with the back of a slotted spoon as you do so.  Put in the beans, salt and remaining water.  Bring to the boil.  Simmer, cover  and turn the heat to low.  Cook for 8-10 mins or until the beans are tender.   Add the lemon juice, roasted cumin  and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper.  Turn heat up and boil away all of the liquid, stirring the beans gently as you do so.


I did not have all of the above ingredients in the house so I improvised:
Instead of fresh ginger I used ginger powder and mixed it with the crushed garlic and water to make a paste.
I did not have cumin  or coriander seeds so I used the powder forms instead.
Instead of fresh tomatoes I just used tomato puree, but I'm sure Tomato passata or tinned tomatoes would be ok.


 Thursday's Menu

B: Fried egg and 3 rashers of bacon
L: Lamb broth. Peanuts
D: Chicken curry & vegetable bhaji. Mug of Cocoa

Callanetics: 40 mins
 
Friday's Menu

B: Scrambled eggs and 3 rashers of bacon
L:  Salted peanuts. Raspberry low carb cheesecake.   
D: Chicken curry, vegetable bhaji and spicy green beans. 2 squares 84% chocolate

Callanetics: 40 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment